Migrate from Waveapps to Zoho Books
If you’re looking for efficient and streamlined accounting, you can find it in one app: Zoho Books. With accessibility at its core, Zoho Books is a comprehensive business management system that can help you oversee your business finance needs with ease, with extensive features at your fingertips. We compiled this guide to make your migration from Waveapps to Zoho Books seamless.
You can choose one of two ways to migrate, as follows:
Option 1: You don’t need old transactions in Zoho Books (starting fresh).
Step 1: Set up Zoho Books.
Step 2: Transfer customers, products and any vendors over.
Step 3: You’re ready to go!
Option 2: You want to migrate the bulk of your data from Waveapps to Zoho Books (bringing over valuable information).
Step: 1: Set up Zoho Books
Step 2: Transfer services, customers, products, bills, invoices and more over.
Step 3: Begin using Zoho Books!
Exploring Zoho Books
Zoho Books and Waveapps experience similar enough navigation that would allow easy migration, but there are a few notable differences.
Products & Services
When using Waveapps, you’d find this tab under Sales and Purchases. When using Zoho Books, Products and Services are described as “Items” and are found as a unique tab found in the sidebar.
This module is found under the Sales tab in Wave apps. However, when using Zoho Books, you can create a customer statement by moving to the Customers module, choosing a customer and creating a customer statement.
When using Waveapps, you’d normally find this module in the Accounting section. With Zoho Books, you can begin a reconciliation task for a credit card or bank accounts by using the Banking tab.
Settings & Integrations
These are located below the module options in Wave apps. Using Zoho Books, you can find Integrations within Settings, navigated to by selecting the gear icon near the top right of the page.
Quick Create Option
Quick creation of contacts, transactions and more can be found in the Waveapps dashboard. In Zoho Books, these are found in the bar at the top of the webpage. This is accessible from any page, allowing for swift creation of your necessary Items and reports.
Switching to a different business account
Wave apps allow for navigation through multiple business accounts by selecting the current business account you are in at the top left-hand side of the page. Businesses are denoted as “organizations”, and are found in a similar manner by selecting the existing organization you are managing at the top right side of the page.
Searching your records is possible by using the top bar on any page in Zoho Books, with advanced search available to hone in on exactly what you’re looking for. With Waveapps, transaction searches are completed within each module only.
Help and Support
Support in Waveapps was accessible through the talk bubble found on the bottom right-hand side of the page. In Zoho Books, there is a Contact Support feature found in the same location. Immediate help and tips are available in the top right-hand corner of the page where resources and tips are available to improve your understanding and troubleshoot issues you may experience. Page tips are available in each individual module as well for on-the-go support.
See? Navigating Zoho Books is pretty straightforward, with a lot of really helpful and useful features at your disposal. Now that you understand how to locate those features, let’s move on to setting up Zoho Books for your business.
Customizing Preferences for Your Organization
You want all the right information concerning your business set up directly in your transactional data and valuable records, so we have detailed how you can do so below.
Setting up your organization is as follows:
- Log in to Zoho Books under your organization.
- Then, select the Settings gear icon found on the top right-hand side of the page. Choose “Organization Profile”. Any info you provided while signing up will be available here. You can update it as needed in this step.
- Any email address you used to sign up for Zoho books will become your primary email address. This means that any transactions sent from Zoho books will depict this email as the sender. You can change your email preferences here and use a different email if you wish.
- Select whatever Fiscal Year applies best to you and your business. This may depend on where your business is located.
- Choosing Accrual or Cash depends on your needs for report generation.
- Enter any other details you wish and choose which date format works best for you.
- Select “Save” and you’re all done!
The next step requires you to set up your taxes and tax rates. You’ll want to do this in order to be able to apply tax treatments or associate taxes to contacts, transactions and items.
How to configure your taxes:
- Go to Settings by selecting the gear icon found in the top right-hand side of the page, and choose “Taxes”.
- Select “+ New Tax” to make a brand new tax rate.
- Fill in the “Tax Name” and “Tax Rate” fields.
- Select “This is a compound tax option” if this tax is made on top of a primary tax.
- Select “Save”, and you’re all done.
Sell to EU state members? Don’t forget: you can make new tax groups, set how those taxes are tracked and analyzed by Zoho under Tax Settings, and follow the tax on any sales regarding digital services if you have transactions overseas to EU members.
Depending on the country you chose during sign up, the base currency will be reflected in Zoho Books. Foreign currencies will be created automatically. You can add new currencies and assign them to a customer for transactional purposes if you sell overseas. Automatic fetching of exchange rate feeds is enabled through Zoho books, as well. To do this, it is required to have the Zoho Books – Global edition.
Configuring currencies is simple:
- Select the gear icon in the top right of the window and go to “Currencies”.
- Pick “+ New Currency” and add a new currency.
- Fill in the currency name, decimal places, symbol and the format.
- Hit the “Save” button and you’re finished!
Customizing Your Transaction Templates
Estimates, payment receipts, bills, journals and much more can be recorded with Zoho Books. There are several templates available to do so to suit your preferences.
Customizing a template is simple:
- Go to Settings by hitting the gear icon at the top right corner and choose “Templates”. From here, the page for Invoice Templates can be seen.
- Place your mouse over a template you like and select “edit” to edit it or click “+ New” to make an entirely new template from scratch, allowing for complete customization. If you want something similar to Waveapps, try the Simple, Standard or Grand templates available, as they may feel most familiar.
- Customize the template to reflect your business or brand.
- Select “Save” and you are ready to go.You can set default templates after creating them and use them in any module you like.
Customize Email Notifications
Include all details necessary by customizing email notifications that are sent to customers based on various actions, like sending invoices or transactions. Placeholders for specific field values can be adjusted, too.
Customizing an invoice email notification is straightforward:
- Select Settings by hitting the gear icon found at the top right corner of the page and choose “Emails”. A page called Invoice Notifications will pop up and you will be able to look at the existing invoice email template.
- Choose “Show Mail Content” to see and change an email template or select “+ New” at the top right-hand corner to make a new template.
- Near the very bottom of the “Edit” webpage, you can select “Set this to default” so that the exact email template is used as the default invoice email template going forward.
Remember: you can make, edit, and determine default email templates for all modules.
Configuring Users and Roles
Are you going to be the only user of Zoho Books?
If so, go ahead and skip this part and head for the “Add bank or credit card account” section. Since you’ll be the admin of your organization in Zoho Books, you’ll have total access to everything.
When using Waveapps, to add new users, you would have likely selected the default positions available of Admin, Editor, Payroll Manager, and Viewer.
There are still default roles when using Zoho Books, but you can also make customized roles for every user, giving you autonomy over the accessibility of modules in your organization. Give it a try.
To make a customized role:
- Go to Settings and hit the gear icon at the top right-hand corner and choose “Users and Roles”. This will get you to the “All Users” tab.
- Select the “Roles” tab in the top bar. Here, the default roles will be available for selection if you wish to use them.
- Hit “New Role” at the top right-hand corner to make your custom role.
- Adjust the settings here as you wish, and then hit Save.
The next time you invite a user to Zoho Books, you can give them this custom role.
Inviting new users is simple:
- First, hit the gear icon to get to Settings on the top right-hand side of the page and choose “Users and Roles”.
- Once in the All Users tab, select the “Invite User” option to invite a user with the desired role.
- Fill in the fields with the user’s name, email address and desired role.
- Hit “Invite” to deliver an email invitation. In the email template settings, you can customize this invitation email that is sent to feel more personalized to you or your brand as you wish.
Remember: Some plans allow you to add more users than others. See what version of Zoho Books you have to gauge this.
Adding Bank and Credit Card Accounts
When using Waveapps, you had the choice to add bank statements as transactions on an account, as well as manual reconcile transactions.
Conversely, banks and credit card accounts can be added straight to Zoho Books, and automatic fetching of bank feeds for reconciliation transactions and categorizations is possible.
Remember: When bringing over the Chart of Accounts, the bank or credit card accounts you have added will be automatically filled. This can still be done manually if you wish.
Adding a bank account:
- In the Banking module in the left-hand sidebar, select “Connect Bank/Credit Card”.
- Choose your bank here from the suggestions, or simply type in your bank in the search bar and choose it manually. Banks in the list here are capable of fetching bank feeds automatically.
- Select “Enter your account manually” if you are unable to locate it in the list provided.
- Type in the login info for the bank account you want to add or put in the details for the bank account to manually add it.
Importing bank statements is suggested once completed the migration process. Adding bank information manually means you will need to import bank statements manually from then on, rather than selecting banks from the list allowing for automatic fetching of this data.
Setting Up Your Integrations
With Waveapps, it’s possible you integrated with BlueCamroo. If so, consider using a CRM software that is compatible with Zoho Books. For example, Zoho CRM is perfectly designed for use with Zoho Books, allowing for efficient and smooth processing of data and management with minimal interruptions from incompatibilities. You can even start with a free Zoho CRM plan to get started and see if you like it.
Zoho Books has wide integration capabilities to ensure no data is left behind during your migration.
Exporting and Importing Data to Zoho Books
Exporting Data from Waveapps
When you export your data from Waveapps to import them to Zoho Books, you can refer to records in the future, which is ideal. This being said, the data export options are fairly limited.
There are two options for exportation from Waveapps:
Data Export Option
This is an export option that moves a large amount of data, like transactions, vendors, customers and so on as a ZIP file for CSV or Excel. Receipts can also be exported that were uploaded as ZIP.
If you want to download these files, follow these steps:
- Enter your Waveapps account.
- In the Settings on the left hand side, choose “Data Export”.
- Select the “Export all transactions for Excel” option or “Export all transactions as CSV”. A ZIP file with all of your data on bills, transactions, vendors and customers will be delivered to the primary email address on Waveapps.
- Select “Export all receipts as a ZIP file” to receive a ZIP file with all uploaded receipts will be delivered to the primary email address on Waveapps.
The download link in the email sent to you can be followed to download your ZIP. Unzip them and view your data.
Reminder: The link is only usable for 24 hours for security purposes, so be sure to download it as soon as possible
Export Data Using Wave Connect Add-on
If you’re using Wave Connect to download and upload data, you can export invoices and products & services from Waveapps. Skip to the next section if this is the case.
If not, setting up Wave Connect is easy so you can use its export services for migration purposes:
- Enter your Waveapps account.
- Click on Integrations and go to “Add to Sheets” next to Google Sheets. Then, you’ll be sent to Google Workspace Marketplace. From there, you can install the add-on.
- Select the “Install” button underneath the name.
- If not logged in, log in to Google.
- Select “Continue” after viewing installation information.
- Click on your Google account when a new tab comes up.
- Select “Allow” after reviewing the permission info concerning access of your data. Then, Wave Connect will be added and installed to Google Sheets.
- After this, enable this Wave Connect add-on in Google Sheets and you will be able to download Waveapps data.
Enabling requires a couple of easy steps:
- Enter Google Sheets. Make sure it is the same account you used to install the Wave Connect add-on from before.
- Create a blank Google Sheet and name it appropriately.
- Navigate to the “Add-ons” tab in the top bar, click Wave Connect, and then select “Enable for this Sheet”.
- You can then again select the Add-ons tab, go to Wave Connect, and click “Connect Wave Account” to connect it to the Google Sheet. Make sure you are logged into your Wave account for this step.
- A new tab should come up, whereby you should hit “Allow Access” so read/write permissions are given to Wave Connect. All done!
Downloading Data Directly from Google Sheets
- Navigate to the sheet which you connected to your Waveapps account. Connect the sheet to your Waveapps account and set up the Wave Connect add-on if you haven’t yet (refer to the Export Data Using Wave Connect section above).
- Click the Add-ons tab at the top bar > Wave Connect > Download > Customers (or Products or Invoices or Chart of Accounts).
- You should be presented with an option to select your Waveapps account, followed by a large range of fields giving you options for what you want to download to the Google Sheet. Invoices as well as invoice payments can be downloaded. To do so, select the “Data to Download” option for “Invoice Data and Payments” in the field options to get your invoice payments downloaded.
- Mark all selected fields and hit “Download Customers” (you may also hit “Download Products” or “Download Invoices” or “Download Accounts”). Overwrite the sheet if dated data already exists on it. Everything will be imported to the sheet.
- Then, go to “File”, hit “Download”, and choose “Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)”. A list of customers will be available as a .CSV file on the device you download it onto.
- After that, hit the “+” icon at the bottom left hand side of the Google Sheet page. Here, you can make a brand new sheet and redo the above steps to download your invoices, COA and products from Waveapps directly to your device.
Downloading a Trial Balance Report
Follow these steps to download a trial balance report:
- Select the “+” icon at the bottom left hand side of the page to start a brand new sheet.
- Select the “Add-ons” tab from the bar at the top of the page, go to “Wave Connect”, then “Reports” and click “Trial Balance”.
- In the pop-up on the right, choose the Balance Date option.
- Select “Run Report” and the report will go directly onto the Google Sheet.
- The .CSV files you obtained through this process can be used to move your data into Zoho Books.
Importing Data to Zoho Books
There is a feature called “Migration Wizard”, which assists in uploading a .CSV file to import your data. Here’s how:
- On your dashboard, select “Migrate Data”. From here, a new page will come up detailing how to export your data.
- If you have your exported data from Waveapps, go ahead and select “Import Files”. If not, refer to “Exporting Data from Waveapps”.
- You can then upload the customers, products, and accounting .CSV files.
- Select “Import Files”. When the data is transferred to Zoho Books, you can observe if any records were skipped, and also see a detailed list of all records successfully moved over.
- If you want to move over outstanding invoices, Hit “Proceed to Import Transactions”. Otherwise, you can select “Complete Import” and you may begin using Zoho Books!
- There is an Import Transactions page. Go to it, and upload the exported invoices file that you now have.
- Hit “Import Transactions” and the unpaid and partially paid invoices from Waveapps will be brought over.
To note: Paid invoices and payments made for invoices have to be brought over manually.
- Next, click “Proceed to Review Opening Balance” in order to bring over all the balances of your accounts from Waveapps. If you don’t wish to do this, hit “Complete Import” and Zoho Books is ready for your use.
Note: “Opening balances” in Zoho Books refers to the amount you have in various accounts of your business at the beginning of an accounting period, or when you are moving to a new accounting system. When you switch from Waveapps to Zoho Books,you need to make sure these are brought over.
Migrating to ZOho Books at the end of your financial year? The closing balances from last year should be stated as the opening balance for your current year in Zoho Books. Migrations at other times of the year can be handled by making a Trial Balance report when you migrate to indicate all debit and credit balances at that time.
- Pick the correct values for the “Migration Date” – it should be the day of the switch to Zoho Books. Your Trial Balance you had to make in Waveapps needs to have its “As of” date be the same as the “Migration Date” to make sure everything is imported correctly.
- Select “+ Choose File” and click on the Trial Balance report you made earlier with the Wave Connect add-on.
- Select “Import Opening Balance” and review the opening balances to make sure everything is correct.
- Click on “Complete Migration” and you are done. Your data from Waveapps should now be accessible in Zoho Books!
Importing Bills and Receipts
Remember when you selected the “Data Export” option earlier, to get an import file for your bills? Move them into Zoho Books easily:
- Navigate to “Purchases”, and then “Bills”.
- Select the icon that looks like a hamburger on the top right-hand side of the webpage.
- Choose “Import Bills”.
- Select the “Choose File” button, which should be somewhere underneath the “Upload File” section. It’s advisable to not import a file larger than 1 MB.Remember: It’s easy to just download the sample import file and find out the format of the import file.
- Select the “Character Encoding” and “File Delimiter” specific to your file.
- Hit “Next”.
- Use the “Map Fields” page to map the fields correctly if they don’t appear right.
- Check the “Save these selections for use during future imports” option if you think you may need to use an import format next time that resembles this one. Then, hit “Next”.
- There should be a “Preview” window. Inside it, click “Import”. Done!
To import your outstanding invoices:
- Navigate to “Sales”, followed by “Invoices”.
- Select the hamburger icon.
- Choose “Import Invoices”, and voila!
Remember: Importing the paid invoices is only possible by taking away any rows that show the “Status” column as unpaid.
Additionally, you can set up an approval process for invoices that is really handy, and it’s done easily from the Settings option in Zoho Books.
Receipts used in Waveapps can be imported to Zoho Books. It can be safely stored to make expense sheets or used for future references. They will be transferred to the Documents module in Zoho Books.
Remember: Before importing receipts, you must enable this Documents module.
To upload these receipts, select “Upload File” and choose the receipts you exported from Waveapps. They should then be uploaded into Zoho Books, and auto-scanned if you have that add-on. Any receipts can be uploaded by emailing or uploading them in your day to day.
Dealing with Non-exported Data
Receipt transactions, recurring invoices and estimates can’t currently be exported to Zoho Books. You have to individually modify these sheets to a suitable format if you want to import it to Zoho Books. If having a record of these transactions in Zoho Books is important to your business, your best route would be to create them manually.
Opening balances need to be checked for proper syncing with your imported transactions so you get accuracy in your Trial Balance report values.
Any transferred transactions to Zoho that were dated on or before the migration date need to be synced manually with the “Opening Balance” feature in Zoho Books. Syncing opening balances:
- Navigate to Settings, and then select “Opening Balances”. Backdated transactions will be stated here.
- Select “Sync”.
Comparing Trial Balance reports from Waveapps and Zoho Books
One of the last steps is to ensure all records moved to Zoho Books are set in the correct account, and the reflected account balance is correct after coming from Waveapps.
To check this, make a Trial Balance report in Waveapps and then create one in Zoho Books as well and cross-reference them. Any incorrect information must be followed by a check on the records made for those accounts.
Once this step is confirmed, you’re ready to use Zoho Books!
Connecting to your Stripe Account
With an existing Stripe account, you are able to connect with Zoho Books quickly and easily:
- Navigate to Settings in Zoho Books and then “Online Payments”.
- Select “Set up Now” next to the Stripe logo and description and you’ll be sent to Stripe’s login page.
- Put in your logins and then hit “Sign in/Sign up”.
- Choose your account and click on “Connect my Stripe Account” on the next page.
From here, you will be sent back to the configuration page on Zoho Books. Configure as desired. You’ll be all set to get payments from customers upon completion of this step.
Mobile Apps for Zoho Books
Managing your business finances on the move has never been easier. Zoho Books’ iOS and Android mobile apps are feature-rich. Add customers and engage/create/refer to your reports from anywhere.
Do so much more using Zoho Books!
Congratulations! Now that you’ve migrated to Zoho Books, you can enjoy ever-evolving customization and enjoy seamless performance and integration with other Zoho platforms, like Zoho CRM and Zoho Analytics. Zoho Books offers countless features for your business finance management.
Start simplifying and streamlining your entire accounting process from top to bottom, like auto-charging for recurring transactions, client portals, payment reminders and more. Ask us how!
Migrate from Waveapps to Zoho Books
Migrating from Waveapps to Zoho Books isn’t as difficult as you might think. If you want to make the switch but don’t want to do everything on your own, you can hire websiteTOON to assist you.
We are a digital marketing agency based in Mississauga, Ontario, serving clients across the Greater Toronto Area. We offer consulting services in regards to migrating data from other platforms to Zoho. Using the right software enables you to stay connected to your clients, and in doing so, helps improve your profit margins.
How can we help you migrate from Waveapps to Zoho Books?
- We are an authorized partner with Zoho. As such, websiteTOON can integrate and implement many applications for our clients. We also provide training to ensure you can use Zoho effectively.
- At websiteTOON, we have an experienced team. Our experts know their way around various platforms and tools. We will make sure the migration process is done right and done quickly. That way, you don’t have to worry about your data. We have helped many clients in different industries switch to Zoho.
- We consult with you and your team. In doing so, we have a better understanding of your business. We take your budget and goals into consideration. Our experts are here to answer any questions you have about Zoho.
- We save businesses time and money. Don’t take the risk of transferring your data incorrectly. Our professionals will migrate your data from Waveapps o Zoho Books accurately and quickly.
Why migrate from Waveapps to Zoho Books?
There are more than 40 integrated applications. You don’t have to use them all, just the ones that make sense for your business. Zoho has features for sales and marketing, finance, email and collaboration, human resources, and much more.
As a Zoho Partner, we are knowledgeable when it comes to cloud products and implementing the best solutions for our clients. Our experts can create custom workflows and integrate third-party apps for your business.
Examples of Zoho applications
- Customer relationship management
- Project management
- Marketing hub
- And so much more
Testimonials from our clients about migrating from Waveapps to Zoho Books
“I had a great experience working with websiteTOON. They helped me migrate my data and trained my team to use Zoho. I would definitely work with them again.”
“Thanks for helping me migrate to Zoho Books. I enjoy using it more than other platforms I’ve tried in the past. Highly recommend websiteTOON.”
“Professional and patient. The team at websiteTOON exceeded my expectations.”